Reflections & Moving Forward

2016 was a year of recovery and a year of change for our family.

2015 had largely been ... terrifying.  It was a year of crisis.  It's not that there weren't good things that happened in 2015, but those things were overshadowed. I firmly believe that God carried us through that time because I know we didn't survive due to our own strength.  And though we did deal with some scary stuff last year as well, thankfully 2016 was much more about recovery than crisis.

2016 was a year of change for us.  Nash's job changed (after over a decade with his previous employer).  I went back to work (after being out of the workforce for over 15 years).  Our son went back to public school for high school (after being homeschooled most of his life).  And our daughter changed course in her life too, deciding on a different major at a different college.

Another big change last year was where we attend church.  Now, that may not seem like a big change to some, but it was for us.  We had attended the same church for over a decade.  We have formed many friendships there over the years.  We think of our church as a family, not just a place we attend a worship service, etc.  While we've still been occasionally visiting our previous church home, I think we've found a new church home.  
And that was 2016 in a nutshell ... the short hand version anyway.  lol

What will 2017 bring I wonder.

It seems that more change is on the way as I just accepted a job offer and will be starting a new job soon (thanks for the encouragement & prayers!).  I'm excited and nervous and excited and nervous and excited and nervous and, well, you get the idea.  lol  I had a lot to learn when I started the job I'm at now, and I've definitely felt in over my head at times, especially at first.  So, now that I'm much more comfortable there, I'll start something new and likely feel in over my head all over again.  lol  And while I will miss some things about my current job, I think this will be a good move really.

So, new year's resolutions ... well, ...


... this cracked me up and I just had to share.

I don't have any resolutions per se.  Are there things I've been working on, areas that I want to improve in that I intend to keep working on?  Sure!  But I've decided that lists are stupid.  lol  (kidding, not kidding)

How about this for a new year's resolution ...


Yup.  That works for me.  Strive to be better & do better at all the positive stuff and strive to kick all the negative stuff to the curb.  And give myself grace when I mess it up.  ;)

What about you?  Any thoughts about last year?  What about this year?  Do you have any resolutions for 2017?
     

Comments

  1. Thanks for the synopsis, Lilli! Congrats on the new job...am sure you will be awesome. I don't make New Year resolutions...if something needs to be changed then work on changing it...why wait for a specific date? LOL Working to make yourself better than last year is a great target to aim for. Thanks for sharing the resolution giggle...good one. ;)

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat! Thanks! I don't really make new year's resolutions either, but it does seem like a natural time to look back on the year that has passed and also to look forward to the new year that is to come. I'm glad you enjoyed the giggle! ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Lilli,
    So happy to hear the new job came through. Sounds like you did a lot last year and are ready to embrace the new one. Good for you!
    --Baker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Baker! Thanks! Yes, last year certainly was a busy one and I'm hoping this new year will bring many good things to all of us! :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading this Lilli, a great review of 2016. Congratulations on the new job! That is awesome news :)

    I don't do new year resolutions, but I love this one :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roz! Thanks! I'm excited and nervous and ... oh, yes, you already know that. lol I don't really do new year's resolutions either, but that was one I could get on board with! lol

      Delete
  4. Hi Lilli, Congratulations on the new job. 2016 was full of change for us too with retirement heading the list. Let's hope we all can achieve our dreams in 2017.
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan! Thanks! Retirement certainly is a big change I'm sure! I agree and hope that 2017 is filled with wonderful things for all of us! :)

      Delete
  5. Lilli,
    Bouncing back from a year of crisis does take a whole lot of time to recover from. So happy to hear that things with you have leveled off. Congrats on the job! How exciting! Wishing you all good things for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bleue! Yes, recovery time was definitely needed. Thanks! I wish the same for all of us in 2017, lots of good things! ;)

      Delete
  6. Well your 2015 and 2016 (emotionally and other ways) sounded very similar to ours. I have a friend who believes in less than traditional 'things' and she had informed me that it was a cycle ( I tend to believe her in this case as it seems it occurred in many homes). She also said that January would bring world wide changes to this cycle in a good way. Here's hoping she is correct about that too!!!!

    I generally can always find the positive in any given situation,but after the last two years, I have to confess, I'm a tad tired! lol

    All the best to you!
    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Willie! I can certainly understand you feeling a tad tired. I've felt that way myself sometimes. And I'm definitely open to the possibility that there are many things in this universe that I don't understand. Okay, really, I know that there are! I do hope that 2017 brings a lot of positive things to us all! :)

      Delete
  7. Happy 2017! It is a good reflection. God is giving you the tools for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lea! Thanks! And I totally agree! God doesn't always give us what we want, but he gives us what we need. ;)

      Delete
  8. Ahh I've just emailed you back and didn't know about the job till now!
    2017 will be exciting Lilli with this new job. Congratulations!! 😆(Big hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lilli: I just love reading your blog. I like your resolution to just be more awesome. I really do not do resolutions as I never keep them like most people. Instead, I am working on a goal that I hope I can truly meet. Simply doing my best to follow my husband's lead without so much argument. I am glad that 2016 proved to be a time of recovery for your family All of the things you shared are life changing events in and of themselves which can add up to significant stress. Glad you and you family were able to get through it and it appears better times are ahead. Happy New Year to you an your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annabelle! That is so sweet of you to say! I think working on a realistic goal is a wonderful idea! Thanks! :) (((hugs)))

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts