Back to Basics

 


Two rules.
  1. Listen
  2. Obey

Sounds simple enough, right?

Yeah.  Well.  About that.

Why is it that the things that sound simple can often prove to be the most difficult?


1. Listen

Listen is a verb.  To listen is to hear something with thoughtful attention.  Listening isn't the same as merely hearing.  To hear means to perceive with the ear the sound made by someone or something or to simply be aware of.  Daddy doesn't want me to just be aware that he's speaking.  He doesn't want me to merely realize that he's told me something or other.  He expects more than that.  He wants me to actually listen to what he's saying.  And listening is an active endeavor, not a passive one.

There are times when listening comes easily to me.  But, unfortunately there are other times ... times when I'm easily distracted, paying more attention to something or someone else than to what he's saying.  And sometimes maybe I'm not too fond of what he's saying and so maybe I tune him out or maybe I'm busy trying to formulate a response instead of giving him my full attention.


2. Obey

Obey is also a verb.  And it's certainly not a passive endeavor either.  To obey means to comply with or follow the commands, restrictions, wishes, or instructions of someone in authority or to behave according to a rule, law or instruction.  In contrast, to disobey means to neglect or refuse to obey.  To disobey is to fail to do what you are told or expected to do.

It's not enough for me to just listen.  That's the first step, the easy part, if you will.  Listening is first because how else can I know and understand his expectations?  But, if that's where I stop and obedience isn't to follow, then why should I bother listening in the first place?  Indeed, why should Daddy even bother to tell me what he expects of me?  

I'm gonna be real with you.  Obedience isn't necessarily something that comes naturally to me.  Yes, sometimes I'm more than happy to comply and make Daddy happy.  But there are plenty of times when I'm more prone to disobedience.  All too often it seems more attractive to do my own thing, to chart my own course, to choose my own path.  But, I've learned over the years that things are so much better if Daddy and I are on the same path rather than divergent ones.  And since he's the leader of this party of two that means it's on me to follow ... to listen ... to obey.


Sometimes in the busyness of life the basics can fall by the wayside.  It's easy to get overwhelmed and distracted or to be focused on "bigger" or "better" things.  But the basics are the foundation on which everything else rests.  And without a solid foundation, well, everything else is on shaky ground.  Because of that, sometimes it's wise to step back and focus on those foundational aspects.  And that's where we find ourselves right now, back to basics.


Listen.  Obey.


Or, if you prefer ...


Listen.  Understand.  Act.

Well, really that should have another word added.

Listen.  Understand.  Act Accordingly.

Hmmm ... that's LUAA.  Too bad it's not LUAU! I could do with a luau about now ... nice tropical climate, bare chested male fire dancers, sipping fruity drinks with umbrellas in them under the palm trees, watching the sunset ...


Oh.  Um.  I seem to have gotten a bit sidetracked.  Sorry about that.


And now you see what Daddy has to deal with.  lol

Comments

Popular Posts