Delicious Cake Balls

I missed the deadline to sign up for the The Great Online Cookie Exchange Extravaganza, but I figured I'd share a recipe anyway for anyone who happens to stop by.

This is an easy peasy recipe, but quite yummy and it always goes over well.  It has to be done in two steps, as the dough needs to set up and be firm before coating it.

Delicious Cake Balls


 What you need:
  •    Cake
  •    Frosting/Peanut Butter/Jam, etc.
  •    Dipping chocolate 

What you do:
  •   Bake a cake (use a mix or whatever recipe you like)
  •   Crumble cake in a bowl and mix in frosting (or peanut butter, jam, etc.)
  •   Roll mixture into balls
  •   Freeze overnight
  •   Melt chocolate coating in a double boiler
  •   Coat balls with chocolate by dipping and place on sheet pan
  •   Garnish (with sprinkles, etc.) before coating sets up
  •   Freeze until just before serving


The recipe is very versatile.  You can vary the type of cake balls you make depending on the type of ingredients you use.

Some variations:
  • Triple Chocolate Cake Balls: chocolate cake, chocolate frosting and milk/dark chocolate  coating.      
  • Strawberry Shortcake Cake Balls: white/yellow cake, strawberry jam/jelly and white chocolate coating
  • Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Balls: chocolate cake, peanut butter and milk/dark chocolate coating
  • Cherry Cordial Cake Balls: chocolate cake, cherry jam, milk/dark chocolate coating
  • Peppermint Patty Cake Balls: chocolate cake, vanilla frosting with peppermint extract, milk/dark chocolate coating

The possibilities are endless really ... or if not indeed endless, they are vast anyway.  You can make different flavor combinations to suit your taste or the season or the event or what have you.

I realize that I haven't included quantities, but that's because it will vary somewhat depending on the ingredients you choose.  For those of you who like to stick strictly to a recipe, this will probably bug you and so I apologize.  But, for those of you who are like me and tend to venture out a bit on your own anyway, regardless of what the recipe says, well, I'm sure you'll roll with it.  Since we have some food sensitivities/intolerances the ingredients we use will likely be a bit different from what others would choose and that impacts quantities too (due to different moisture contents, etc.).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

I haven't made my way around to see what yummies everyone else has shared, but I certainly plan to do so!

A big thanks to Jz for hosting this event!  Maybe next year I'll get around to signing up to participate before the deadline.  I know, novel concept.  lol

Here's the "official" list of participants:
abby
Ashly
Bleu (private blog, also posted here)
Blondie
blossom
Cat
CollaredMom
Ms. Constance
Ella
greengirl
Julia
Jz
Lindy
little monkey (private blog, also posted here)
Maggie
Misty
nilla
ronnie
rose
Ryan
Sassy
Terpsichore
Tom

Comments

  1. Do like the sound of these. Anything with chocolate is a hit for me. Thanks for sharing.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that these are so easy.
    And I like all the variations you offer, too!

    Thanks for playing along.
    Hopefully next year we'll get you on the list. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super easy, Jz! Thanks for hosting this event. I still need to make my way around to see everyone's recipes. I'm afraid I didn't get very far through the list yet! ;)

      Delete
  3. Wow Lilli...these do look easy and I love recipes that I can change up to suit different tastes. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really easy Cat! And one of my favorite things is trying new variations. ;)

      Delete
  4. Wow Lilli, these look and sound interesting and so yummy. Love how versitile the recipe is too. Thanks for sharing :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is versatile and easy, Roz! (and yummy too, lol)

      Delete
  5. I've always wondered how cake balls are made! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These looks so delicious! And easy enough for me. I do adore balls... of all kinds. ;) Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you adore balls, I think you'll love these Sassy! ;) Happy Holidays to you as well! :)

      Delete
  7. These look amazing Lilli and will be able to adapt to my food intolerances by sounds of things. thanks for sharing
    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are quite customizeable Lindy. We make ours gluten/dairy/soy free. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts