Hope

I had intended to finish writing another post today, but I just can't seem to concentrate on it right now.  There is something else on my mind, something else my thoughts are consumed by currently.

What?

There are just so many people in my life, so many people that I care about, who are dealing with serious health issues right now.

Cancer.  Two friends and a family member have cancer.  Well, actually there are more than that, but the ones I mentioned are the ones we're most worried about as the prognosis either isn't good or is quite uncertain at this point.

Depression and/or anxiety.  We have a family member and a couple of friends who have been really struggling.  (different from the aforementioned friends and family member)

We also have family and friends dealing with things like a recent stroke or a diagnosis of a serious chronic disease or major surgery or the loss of a loved one or so many other things.

And we have some friends and family who are still in the land of the unknown, experiencing symptoms, but with no diagnosis as of yet, which also means no treatment yet.  Living in limbo isn't easy either.

I get down about it sometimes.  I just do.  It can be discouraging, distressing, disheartening.  And yet, there is a light that can shine into the darkest corners.  There is a hope that can overcome any obstacle.

If you're a Christian, a Christ follower, a Jesus freak then you already know what I'm referring to ... but if you're not, I'm referring to my faith, my belief, my God.

The Bible says:  God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son.  Anyone who believes in him will not die but will have eternal life.  (John 3:16 NIrV)

Another translation of the Bible words it this way:
“This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn’t go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person’s failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him.  (John 3:16-18 MSG)

That's a message of hope.  It's a message of hope for me, for my family, for my friends, for all of us, for everyone.  It's a message of hope for this world.

You see, this life here on earth isn't the end.  There is an afterlife.  There is a heaven.  Nope, I can't prove it.  But, I know it to be true.  That's probably confusing to some.  Do you wonder if I'm stupid or crazy or if I've been brainwashed?  Nope.  Well, I just might be crazy, but not because I believe in God.

So, if I pray enough, if I'm good enough, if I do and say all the right things, if they do and say all the right things, will my family and friends be healed?  Well, for one thing that's really not how it works.  Praying is a good thing to do.  By praying and reading the Bible we can develop a stronger relationship with God.  And good works are great, but not if they're done for the wrong reasons, not as some sort of a bribe to God or something.  The truth is that my family and friends may not receive healing while they're here on earth.  And that's painful news.  But, this planet we live on and each and every one of us are marred by sin.  And that's why Jesus came.  He came to pay the ultimate price for our sin.  He came to save us.

If we admit that we're sinners...if we believe that Jesus died on the cross for us and rose again from the dead...if we choose to trust Him to save us from our sins...well, then we can be healed one day and join him in heaven.

I know.  I know.  I guess I got all "preachy", huh?  Sorry, well no, not really sorry.  I know that others have different beliefs, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't be able to share mine, right?  And if you've read this far, you've chosen to do so.  I didn't even know this was where this post was going until it started going there.  I didn't have some plan.  I was just feeling frustrated and upset about all the suffering I see around me.  And since I am a Christian (which to me is not about going to a certain church or praying a certain way or any number of other things...to me it's about a relationship with God, not about religion) this is where I ended up.  It's not that surprising I suppose, even if I didn't have it mapped out ahead of time.

If you ever feel hopeless, please know that there is hope.  If you ever feel trapped in the darkness, know that Jesus came to light the way.  If you know that already, if you have a relationship with Him, know that it's okay if you still feel down about things sometimes.  We're human.  We're fallible.  We're not perfect whether we're Christians or not.  We aren't immune to sin or to the suffering around us.  And that's okay because life on this earth isn't the end of the story, it's only the beginning.


Comments

  1. Hi Lilli, I'm so sorry you are surrounded by so much suffering. I can't image how difficult it must be. Sending positive thoughts and prayers. I love the positivity and hope in this post.

    ((Hugs))
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roz! It's crazy to know so many people going through so much all at the same time. I can't think of another time in my life like this. I mean, we all know someone dealing with an illness, but this is really crazy. That said, God is good and I try to keep my focus on the positive. If I'm feeling down and negative that does nothing to improve anything, it just makes me feel worse and it certainly doesn't enable me to encourage others. (((hugs)))

      Delete
  2. I am sorry that a lot of loved ones and friends you know are going through such rough times. It is hard to be in limbo I was for a long while and they had a hard time figuring out what was wrong. Faith no matter what spirituality or religion is always a great source of comfort. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evie! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!
      I'm sorry that you're experienced with living in limbo. I hope that they've figured out what was wrong and were/are able to treat it successfully!
      I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well, thanks! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts