Transition: DD to DD/bg

Labels can be helpful sometimes. They make it easier to categorize things. For instance, if you're looking for a bottle of ketchup you know to look in the condiment aisle because ketchup is labeled as a condiment.

However, sometimes labels can also be confining. Ketchup isn't just a condiment, it's also a tomato based product. The fact that you likely won't find it in the grocery store alongside spaghetti sauce or salsa or even fresh tomatoes doesn't change that fact. What if the grocery store was arranged differently and all the tomato based products were together? Would that mean that ketchup is no longer a condiment or that tomatoes aren't produce? No, of course not.

We don't just label/categorize/classify our food. We do it with many things, maybe everything even. Think about it...clothing, colors, vehicles, office supplies, plants, animals...people.  Unfortunately, labeling people can often be a double-edged sword.

On the one hand, labeling yourself or having a label put upon you can be helpful.  It may help you find like minded people and it may help them find you.  It may give you a sense of belonging.  You may feel as if you fit in.  However, just because we identify with one group or another doesn't mean that we aren't also all still individuals. For instance, just because I'm a woman doesn't mean that I hold the same views or want the same things as another woman.  Just because I'm a mom doesn't mean that I make the same parenting choices as another mom.  The thing is, we all wear multiple labels.  We all fit into various categories.  And we can all be classified in many different ways.  Just like ketchup is a condiment and a tomato based product and a pre-packaged food and it's shelf stable, etc.

Over time, as we change and grow, the labels we wear, the labels that fit us, often change too.  Even ketchup has changed over the years.  For one thing it used to be spelled "catsup" (still is some places).  And there didn't use to be anywhere near as many varieties in the average grocery store...organic, hot and spicy, no salt, low sugar, all natural, etc.

For a number of years early on in our marriage the vanilla label fit us best, even though we did enjoy some kink between the bed sheets.  So maybe we were more like vanilla with sprinkles (to continue the food theme).  Then we went through some changes and we embraced the domestic discipline lifestyle, wearing the DD label.  It fit us pretty well for awhile really.  But, as happens, more change was on the horizon and we started developing a Daddy Dom/babygirl dynamic.


Actually, I first called Nash "Daddy" a very long time ago.  It was well before we ventured into Daddy Dom/babygirl waters.  It was well before we wore the DD label.  It was also before I referred to him that way because we had children, though not well before.  Actually, I may have been pregnant at the time, though we didn't know it yet.

We were on a road trip together and I felt the urge to call him "Daddy."  The word was right there on the tip of my tongue, but I hesitated.  He knew I'd been about to say something and he wanted to know what.  I've never been very good about keeping things from him, but I was shy about sharing my thoughts out loud.  I didn't really understand why I wanted to call him Daddy so I certainly didn't expect him to understand.  I remember taking a deep breath and deciding to take a leap of faith.  I admitted to him that I had nearly called him Daddy, but that I had hesitated because I wasn't sure how he'd feel about it.  I was quick to follow that information up with assurances and reassurances that I didn't think of him as my father, but that I meant it as a term of endearment.  We discussed it a little and he encouraged me to try it on for size.  I was very shy about it at first.  It felt right to me, but yet I wasn't completely comfortable with it either.  And I was still concerned about what Nash thought and how he felt.  Then it was him reassuring me that though he was still getting used to it, it was growing on him.  In fact, he said that he was beginning to rather like it.  So, before long the shyness lapsed and me calling Nash "Daddy" was comfortable for both of us, normal even.

Anyway, as I said, that was well before we started developing a Daddy Dom/babygirl dynamic.  But, I suppose maybe it was a sign of things to come.  ;)

Comments

Popular Posts