Losing Myself

I got on the scale this morning and discovered that I’ve lost 9 lbs. in the past 3 weeks. Yay! I had hoped to lose some weight when the exercise and water consumption rules were put into place, but it didn't happen for awhile. Surely it was still healthier for me to get more exercise and drink more water, but I needed to change my eating habits as well.

In our society, life largely revolves around food. That may seem far fetched, but if you stop and think about it, I think you’ll see my point. Family life, get togethers with friends, celebrations, even some workplace meetings involve food. This isn’t a big deal, unless you have dietary restrictions. There are some foods that I can’t eat and so, sometimes I’ve allowed myself to eat whatever I want that I can have. It’s a way of placating myself, trying to make up for the foods I miss, trying to make up for feeling left out.

One of my biggest struggles dietarily (is that a word?) has been soda (or pop or soda pop, if you prefer). I’ve always loved it and have some fond childhood memories associated with it. In other words, there’s an emotional component. Now, a soda once in awhile isn’t such a terrible thing in my opinion. But, I was consuming way too many empty calories drinking soda. And I wasn’t drinking enough other things that are better for me like water and tea. Well, it’s been almost three weeks since I’ve had any soda. Funny thing is that in a dream I had last night I was drinking a Pepsi. lol

Other changes I’ve been working on are portion sizes and making healthier choices. The only thing I’m completely restricting myself from though is soda, and I’m doing that because I know that’s kind of an addiction for me…one leads to two, leads to three, etc. Portion size isn’t really that challenging for me, if I’m thinking about it. If I’m trying to do twenty things at once or have a lot on my mind and just grab a plate of food without thinking about it, well, then I often end up with more than I really need. But, if I’m paying attention, then I’ll put less on my plate, knowing that if I really want more I can have more. Eating slower helps too, along with drinking water. Making healthier choices is an area that still needs work, but I’m improving. It’s more in the snack department that I’ve been making changes. I’ve been working on replacing not so healthy choices (for instance potato chips) with healthier ones (like veggie sticks). I’m not doing it in a feast or famine kind of a way though. I know that if I totally cut out sweets for instance, that at some point I’m going to break down and end up binging on them. But, if I let myself have something every once in awhile, then that satisfies the craving.

I would like to lose some more weight, but my main goal is to be healthier and the weight loss is a benefit of that. It was a goal I set for myself at the beginning of this year that wasn’t going so well at first. I need to thank my husband for helping me get on track. Yes, I’m referring to the exercise and water consumption rules, but also for encouraging me to go through with the medical procedure that I’ve needed for awhile and just kept putting off. (And no, the procedure wasn’t weight loss surgery. lol) By going through with the procedure, I was putting myself and my health in the forefront, instead of it being on the back burner. And though I’ve had some struggles because of it, overall I’m feeling much better and that has boosted my confidence and just my overall sense of well being. And that has driven me to try to achieve my goals.

I did set a couple of other goals at the beginning of the year. Some I’m doing better with than others, but overall I’m not doing badly at this point. What about you? Did you set any goals or resolutions at the beginning of the year? If so, how are they going?

Comments

Popular Posts