TTWD at Church?

I was having a conversation with a friend at church last Sunday after the service. I’ve known her for awhile, but really as more of an acquaintance. However, recently we’ve started to get to know each other a bit better. I guess it’s more accurate to say that we’re becoming friends. 

Anyway, she complimented me on the sweater I was wearing and said she had one that was similar. This started us on a conversation about clothing. During the conversation she mentioned that she has some clothes that might fit my daughter, which led to us talking about how wonderful hand-me-downs are and how clothes are so expensive and that we both like to buy clothes on sale, etc. At that point her family was approaching with coats on, obviously ready to get going. And so this was our conversation as we prepared to part ways. 



Me: Yeah, I'm not the type to run out and buy new clothes all the time so that I'm wearing whatever happens to be in style that season.

Her:  Me either.  My husband would tan my hide!

Me: Yeah, I'm in the same boat.

And then we said our goodbyes and parted ways as her family caught up with her and they headed out.

It happened so quickly that my response to her was just a reaction or perhaps quick thinking, I’m not even sure which. I really don't know what she meant by it. She might just have meant that her husband would be really upset with her. But, her choice of words, I mean, who says that? I wouldn’t. Well, I suppose I might here, on my blog. But I certainly wouldn’t say it in public, even if I was only kidding. Could it be that she meant it literally? Knowing both her and her husband a little bit and knowing some things about their family dynamic I could see it. What I mean is that from conversations I’ve had with her and things I’ve observed he is the HOH and she strives to follow his lead. But that doesn’t mean that they use DD as a tool in their relationship. One doesn’t necessarily equate to the other. And yet, I wonder. I mean, after that conversation how can I not wonder?

I laughed to myself thinking about it today. You see, we have these groups at church called LifeGroups. They’re basically a way to bring people together who are at similar places in life (singles, married couples, parents, grandparents, etc.) to do things together and get to know one another better. It’s a support system basically, not so unlike our little corner of blogland, just with a different emphasis. Anyway, the reason I had a bit of a chuckle was because I thought to myself, now that would be an interesting LifeGroup at church…DD/TTWD! LOL No, that wouldn’t actually happen, not at our church anyway. But it was a funny and kind of “Oh.my!” thought.

Anyway, what do you think? I mean, I realize you don’t know her at all. But, wouldn’t you wonder after that conversation if she meant it literally? Have you ever had a conversation like that where it left you wondering if someone you know could be living in a marriage that includes ttwd? And what am I going to do the next time I see her? I know, I will just act as if that conversation never happened, at least that last part of it…unless of course she brings it up because of my response. And then what will I do? Ack. I don’t even want to think about it!

Comments

Popular Posts