Superman

Michael told me last night that I expect him to be Superman. 


At the time he was referring to me not recognizing his need for sleep in order to function. His comment hit me hard and as he talked to me more, explaining his feelings, I dissolved in tears. He was quick to comfort me and I started to calm down. He had something to do on the computer and I sat down in the next room and turned on the tv, bundling myself up underneath a soft throw blanket. Well, as I sat there I started thinking and then I reached for my phone and opened up the notes app and started writing. It was all negative and tears were streaming down my face as I wrote. When Michael joined me I had just finished writing. He wanted to know what I’d written. I told him he wouldn’t like it and he promptly took my phone so that he could read it.

I was right, he didn't like it. In fact, he wanted to delete it, but I asked him not to and so he didn’t. Then he wanted to talk to me.  Sometimes when I’m upset it’s hard for me to really hear what he’s saying. He of course knows this and made me look at him while he was talking. That was hard to do, with tears streaming down my face. He reminded me that he loves me. And he told me that just because he pointed out an area where I could use some improvement doesn’t mean that he isn’t happy with where we are. He pointed out areas that he's proud of me.  And he said that we both have work to do. When he was done talking, he started kissing my forehead and rubbing my back. And then he pulled me close and held me there. It’s my favorite place to be, snuggled up to him, wherever we are, whatever the circumstances. I calmed down and almost fell asleep.  When it was time to go to bed, I deleted the note I'd written, let him know that I'd done so and we both drifted off to dreamland snuggled up with one another.

He’s right you know. I do expect him to be Superman. I guess that’s because in a lot of ways I see him as Superman. The problem with that is that sometimes that means I take him, all he does, all he juggles, for granted.  Sometimes I fail to recognize that he’s just as human as I am.

There’s a song that used to get a lot of radio play called Kryptonite. I’d always sing along, thinking of my husband. In basic terms the song is about asking someone if they’ll always be there for you, through the good and the bad, no matter what. Well, after almost 20 years of marriage Michael and I have been through plenty of great times and some really challenging times too. And as we promised in our vows, we will always be there for one another, through thick and thin.

I’m sorry Michael, but you will always be my Superman. I promise to try to remember that even Superman has his weaknesses. And I promise to try not to take your super powers for granted anymore. I love you so very much and I really do appreciate you and all you do for me, for us, and for our family. I hope you know that. And I'm going to try to show that appreciation to you more often.

This is the "official" music video for Kryptonite. I will warn you that it has some strange/odd/peculiar imagery. To me it's a play on the superhero concept, but doesn't really illustrate what the song is about. However, the other videos I came across don't seem to have the same sound quality, so, without further ado...



Kryptonite 
Three Doors Down 

I took a walk around the world
To ease my troubled mind
I left my body laying somewhere
In the sands of time
But I watched the world float
To the dark side of the moon

I feel there is nothing I can do, yeah

I watched the world float
To the dark side of the moon
After all I knew it had to be
Something to do with you
I really don’t mind what happens now and then
As long as you’ll be my friend at the end

If I go crazy then will you still
Call me Superman
If I’m alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
I’ll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might
Kryptonite

You called me strong, you called me weak,
But still your secrets I will keep
You took for granted all the times
I never let you down
You stumbled in and bumped your head,
If not for me then you'd be dead
I picked you up and put you back
On solid ground

If I go crazy then will you still
Call me Superman
If I’m alive and well,
Will you be there holding my hand
I’ll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might
Kryptonite

If I go crazy then will you still
Call me Superman
If I’m alive and well, will you be there
Holding my hand
I’ll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might
Kryptonite
Yeah!!

If I go crazy then will you still
Call me Superman
If I'm alive and well,
Will you be there holding my hand
I'll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might
Kryptonite
Yeah!!


Image courtesy of cartoon-excellence.com

Comments

Popular Posts