Full of Myself

Why is it that whenever I offer advice to someone, a kind of been there done that or felt the same way, it’s not long before I find myself falling into the same trap…you know, the one I just claimed to have overcome by doing such and such or changing my thinking or what have you? 
(run on sentence anyone?)


Just last week Susie shared a post about how she’d been a bundle of worry about MM. The weather was bad and he was traveling in it and she was concerned for his safety. Thankfully MM was fine. I commented, sharing how I used to have a big problem with worry myself, but that I didn’t so much anymore.


Fast forward to yesterday. Michael was doing some training with a new company.  He was traveling and it was such a bitterly cold, windy day.  He sent me a text at 4:30am to say good morning.  I didn’t see it until I sent him a text later on that morning, saying good morning to him. Usually he texts me back as soon as possible. But by noon I still hadn’t heard anything from him. So, I sent him another text, saying good afternoon with a little emoticon blowing a kiss.

Then it was 2:30pm and I still hadn’t heard anything. I was starting to get worried. I sent him a text saying that I hoped his day was going well. At 3:30pm I emailed a friend. She said if it was her, she’d call. I had thought about calling, but I didn't want to bother him if he was in the middle of something. Around 4pm I still hadn’t heard anything and so I sent him another text saying that I hoped he was okay, warm and safe and I let him know that I was getting worried. I decided to call him too, but he didn’t answer. I left a voice mail. And while I knew he was probably okay, I was getting really worried.


I did remember to pray, but I was having a hard time really handing it over to God. I was writing my friend back when the phone rang. It was Michael! He was safe and sound. He’d just had a super busy day with no time to call or text. And when I’d called him, he’d been unable to answer his phone. I was so relieved. It was great just to hear his voice. He assured me there was nothing to worry about, that he was fine and he said he’d call again in a couple of hours. I almost felt like crying. Instead I decided to get on the treadmill and work off those pent up emotions. By the time I got out of the long, hot shower I took afterward I was feeling much better.

Michael called again. I thought he was calling to say goodnight. But instead he asked if I’d like it if he came home. Um, YES! He said he’d had a long day and had to get up early again the next morning so he’d just be coming home, taking a shower and heading to bed. I didn’t care though. I couldn’t wait to wrap my arms around him!

The weather wasn’t great (blowing snow and low visibility) and I was both relieved and excited when I heard him pulling into the driveway.  I even pushed my way past the kids and the dogs to get to him first.  lol  I was just so happy that he was home. Our time together was short. But that didn’t matter. My husband was okay and I got to see so for myself. Not only that, but I got to fall asleep cuddled up in his arms, content at last.


The moral of this story?  Well, I'm pretty sure it's...
*drum roll please*
HUMILITY!


Comments

Popular Posts