Feeling Special

We all like to feel special. And we are all unique individuals. But it’s a problem if you need to feel like you’re somehow superior to someone else. I don’t mean that you can’t acknowledge that you may be more talented in a specific area. We all have different talents, different strengths, and different weaknesses. What I’m referring to is when that manifests itself into an inflated sense of self, when you put yourself up on a pedestal in comparison to others. You’re just setting yourself up for a fall.

Sometimes this type of superiority complex arises from insecurity. It seems like some people can only feel good about themselves if they’re putting someone else down. They likely aren’t even considering, perhaps don’t even care, how that makes the other person feel. They just want that ego boost. It’s pretty narcissistic really.

We are all human. We are all special, unique individuals. You are no better than me and I am no better than you. We’re all on this journey of life and we all make mistakes and we all have successes.

Anyway, this was just on my mind today. And in case anyone is wondering, no, this isn’t directed specifically at anyone. There have been a few things recently that led me to this topic and none of those things even directly involved me. But they did make me think. And I felt like writing and I decided to share.

I imagine at one point or another we’ve all been subjected to someone who’s behaved this way. And I imagine at one point or another many of us have been guilty of this type of behavior ourselves, though we loathe admitting it.

So, instead of looking at someone else and seeing where they fall short in comparison to ourselves, we should take the time, make the effort, to look a bit further. What else do we see? It’s easy to judge a book by its cover, but then we miss the story inside. And every story is special.

Comments

Popular Posts