A Change in Perspective

I was sitting at the dining room table, giving my son his spelling test. One of the dogs ran to the front door and started barking. My son got up and looked out the front window to see what the commotion was about. There was a truck parked out front. It was someone from our utility company. What first came to mind was that they were here to shut our power off. We’ve been paying bills late and making partial payments for months now. And this wasn’t the first time a truck had shown up.

As my anxiety grew and I waited for the knock on the door, I wondered what I should do. Should I go ahead and call Michael? No, I wasn’t even sure why they were here yet. And then it occurred to me to pray. I wish I could say that had been the first thing that had popped into my head, but it wasn’t. But at least it did occur to me and pray I did. But, instead of feeling at peace afterward, I felt my anxiety continuing to grow. I realized that I hadn’t really handed it over to God. And then I remembered a recent sermon that one of our pastors had shared. I could claim one of God’s promises. Matthew 6:26 says: Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? God promises to take care of us and I wasn’t trusting him to do so. And so I prayed again, this time stating his promise and claiming it.

After a few minutes I wondered if the truck was still out front. No one had knocked on the door. When my son looked he said it was gone and so I decided to check and see if there was a notice or anything left on the front porch. When I opened the door I saw it, a paper stuck in the screen door. It was a notice saying that we had 72 hours to pay in full or our power would be shut off. It upset me, but at least they hadn’t already turned it off. I called Michael and filled him in. He apologized and said he’d take care of it.

Soon after I got off the phone with my husband, his step sister called. Immediately my mind flew to Michael’s step father and the surgery he was having done that morning and I hoped the news was good. She said that the surgery was over and that her dad was in recovery and doing well. Apparently things ended up being a bit more complicated than originally thought, but the doctor was very optimistic. They had decided to keep him overnight though, instead of just keeping him for a few hours and then sending him home. Hopefully all will go well and he'll be able to go home tomorrow morning. What a relief this news was and my anxiety over our power possibly being turned off had disappeared.

I had been feeling emotional when I got off the phone with Michael, and not without reason. I’m not sure if there’s enough money in the account to pay the bill, at least in full. What I do know is that it’s awfully cold out. But, even before his step sister called I was calming down and reminding myself that I need to trust my husband and trust God.

I’ve shared this song before, only a couple of months ago actually. But I hope you’ll forgive me for sharing it again. It just fits so perfectly with where I’m at right now and what I need to focus on. And maybe someone else needs to hear this message too, whether they’ve heard it before or not.


This video has the lyrics in it. I shared a recording of a live performance last time and shared the lyrics below, so if you want to check that one out too or instead, you can find it here.






You may also be interested in the story behind the song.  This next video is only a couple of minutes long.  It starts out with a short clip of the song, but quickly moves into the story of the inspiration behind it.




No matter where you are in life right now, no matter what your circumstances, remember that you can hold onto God's promises too.

Comments

Popular Posts