Would He or Wouldn't He?


It was my birthday recently.  : )  And Michael brought up birthday spankings.  I played along, but I wondered whether he’d follow through or not.  I mean, he had mentioned it last year, taunted me a bit, but these supposed birthday spankings never materialized.  And so I was curious, but I didn't really think they’d pan out.

I had a very nice birthday.  Michael had managed his schedule so that he would have the day off.  I declared it a school holiday and so that left us and the kids free to do whatever we wanted.  We slept in and had kind of a lazy morning.  Michael did have to head out for a routine doctor’s appointment, but he was back in time for lunch.  When he arrived home I had just gotten out of the shower.  He came over and gave me a kiss, but he was clearly holding something behind his back.  He made me close my eyes and then smell.  Roses!  I opened my eyes and he was holding a bouquet of one dozen red roses.  Have I mentioned lately how sweet my husband is?  Then he and the kids gave me cards and I opened some presents.  The kids always make me a homemade card.  That’s so special to me and I never throw those cards out.  Michael sometimes gets me a humorous card, sometimes a sweet one and every once in awhile he’ll get me one of each.  This year he gave me a sweet card and I want to share with you what it says…

For My Wife,
I love you.
They’re only three words, but when I say them, I’m telling you that you’re my comfort, my laughter, my closest friend in the world and my strength when times are tough.
I’m telling you that I’m proud of the woman you are and so grateful for all you do to make a loving home for our family.
I’m saying that – from day one – you've changed my life for the better and that no dream of tomorrow would be complete without you there by my side.
I love you.
That’s all I know how to say…but in my heart, it’s everything.

It was the perfect card, is the perfect card, for where we find ourselves now.  We’re in the midst of a tough time for our family, but we have each other and that’s what really matters.  I could easily give him the same card…though I suppose I should change the wording a little.  I doubt Michael would be thrilled about being called my wife for instance.  lol  Somehow I managed not to cry when I read it, though it certainly touched my heart and the emotion was there.

After having some lunch we decided to go to a movie.  We enjoy movies, though we don’t see too many in the theater these days.  But, it was a matinee showing and our daughter had a gift card that she donated to the cause, so it didn't cost much.  The movie was cute and funny and family friendly and it was a nice escape and good to just sit and laugh for a bit and forget about our everyday concerns.  Afterward we walked around the mall for a little while and I got an idea for Christmas pictures.  We always take the kids somewhere and get their pictures taken, sometimes sending them in our Christmas cards and other times sending photo cards made with those pictures.  This year there just isn't money to spend on getting professional photos taken.  Anyway, while we were walking in the mall we came across the big Christmas display where Santa sits and little kids go to get their pictures taken and tell him what they’re hoping to get for gifts.  We were on the back side of it, and it hit me, we could have the kids dress for their pictures and bring them to the mall when it’s not busy (easy to do when you home school) and take their pictures right there!  I do have a decent camera and there’s fake snow and huge Christmas trees all decorated.  It would be perfect!  And then we can just get some inexpensive photo cards printed.  Everyone agreed that it was a great idea, so hopefully it will work out.

Once we’d had enough of the mall we decided to go have dinner and then we headed to church.  I was greeted with lots of hugs and happy birthday wishes, which was nice.  It was also nice to have Michael along.  He’s often not home to go with us to church during the week and it was nice just to have him by my side.  After church we headed home and had some celebratory dessert.  No, it wasn't birthday cake, it was birthday brownies.  I had made them that morning knowing that Michael wouldn't have time to make them and really he prefers cooking to baking.  I tried a new mix and hoped they came out well.  They certainly had smelled good when they were in the oven.  Thankfully, they were delicious, fudgy and moist and everyone enjoyed them.  That's a mix I'm sure I'll buy again.

By the time we finished having some brownies it was late and time for the kids to go to bed.  Michael was obviously quite tired himself and so I figured I didn't have to worry about birthday spankings (not that I was sure whether I was worried or intrigued anyway).  Michael had been taunting me on and off all day though.  In fact, he said that I was going to get double the amount because he was going to give me a full set on each cheek.  Of course I protested that notion.  I mean, really, that would mean that I turned 82 this year.  Geesh!

After the kids were in bed, Michael and I sat down together to snuggle on the couch.  Well, I guess we were both more tired than we thought because we ended up falling asleep.  When we woke up he put the dogs to bed and I checked on the kids and then we both got ready for bed.  I was lying on my side of the bed on my back when he came over and started giving me kisses.  He wanted to know if I’d had a good birthday and I said that I’d had a wonderful birthday.  He kissed me some more and then told me he needed me to do something for him before we cuddled up to go to sleep.  I looked at him quizzically and he told me to roll over on my stomach.  I asked him if he was going to rub my back, since he’s been doing that for me at night lately.  The smirk on his face was all the answer I needed.  He nudged me to get into position and wrapped his arm around me, holding me close and then he started spanking.  He was counting quietly, I could hear him at first.  And when I couldn't hear him anymore I tried to keep track myself, but it wasn't long before I’d lost count because he’d ramped things up and was spanking harder.  Hey, this birthday spanking was getting quite ouchy!  And about that time it was over and Michael was holding me in his arms and kissing me again and telling me how much he loves me.

So, I guess the answer to the question is, why yes, yes he would and actually, he did!  To be honest with you, I’m glad he did.  I enjoyed my birthday spankings.  Although I will say that I’m also quite glad that he just went with 41 total and not 41 on each cheek!

I really did have a wonderful birthday.  It wasn't fancy or expensive, but it was filled with love and that made it perfect.  : )

Comments

Popular Posts