Waxing Poetic: There Was a Time

I was looking back through some of my poetry and this one caught my eye so I decided to read it.  I remember when I wrote it.  It was almost a year ago, January 2011.  I remember that it had snowed and Michael was working.  I was outside with a shovel in my hand, talking to him on the phone.  From what I recall I couldn’t get either of the pieces of snow removal machinery to work properly and that’s why I was shoveling.  I wasn’t very happy and I made sure that he knew it.  The argument escalated quickly and I hung up on him.  As I shoveled, the words for this poem started to come to me.  Normally when that happens, I quickly grab a paper and pen or open a word document, but I needed to get the driveway cleared off.  So, I prayed, asking that I’d remember the words when I could write them down.  When I came inside I started typing and this poem was the result.

When I read it now, those emotions I was feeling come back to me.  Our marriage was in trouble.  We were two hurting people and we were hurting each other.  But, as I was writing I got to the point that I realized that we needed to turn things around, that I wanted things to be different.  I felt a glimmer of hope that if we tried, maybe we could get back on track and be happy again. 

Sometimes it feels like we haven’t gotten very far, but when I read through this and thought of where we were, truly where we were, I realized that in just a few short months we really have come a long way.  Yes, there have been bumps in the road, and I’m sure there will continue to be.  But we’re on the journey together again and that makes all the difference.


There Was a Time

There was a time you wanted to be my knight in shining armor
There was a time I wanted to be your beauty queen
There was a time when all was said and done, it always came back to you and me

There was a time I wanted to be with you every waking hour
There was a time you said you’d always be there for me
There was a time when all we wanted was to be each other’s everything

There was a time you thought of me before yourself
There was a time when I would let you have things your way
There was a time when we worked together well, there was a give and take

There was a time when I knew where we were headed
There was a time you were comfortable leading the way
There was a time when we believed in one another, enjoying all that life had to offer each day

There was a time you missed me when you were gone
There was a time I longed for your touch
There was a time when we were close, so close, much closer than today

There was a time when I had lost hope
There was a time when I think you did too
There was a time when we could’ve given up, it would’ve been easier to do

But, now is the time when we can make things right
Now is the time we can start to trust each other
Now is the time when we can reach out in faith and support one another

Now is the time when we can turn to love
Now is the time to look for help from above
Now is the time to learn to live again, not as you and me, but as us

And if we follow this path, there will come a time for rejoicing
There will come a time to give thanks
There will come a time to be grateful for the life that we’ve had, it won’t have been a waste

There will come a time to pass on to others the lessons we’ve learned
There will come a time to sing praises to the one who created us and this earth
There will come a time for reflection, for appreciation and for joy

There will come a time to enjoy the fruits of a life lived for others
There will even come a time when we’ll have to say goodbye
It’s a time when we’ll be apart for awhile and we’ll probably wonder why

When that time comes I hope you and I will be on good terms
I hope we’ll have enjoyed one another’s presence in our lives, enjoyed our time as a couple on this earth
And when that time comes we know it won’t be the end, one day we will see each other again
When it’s time

Comments

Popular Posts