Sometimes the little things are really the big things

I emailed him to ask if he thought it was ok for me to share certain information with a new friend.  I didn’t do it because it was a rule, it’s not.  He thought it was fine and thanked me for asking how he felt about it first.  He said that he appreciated the respect I’d shown him.  I thanked him for always watching out for us.

I was missing him and he made the effort to reach out to me in a way that I hadn’t expected, letting me know that he understood and that he missed me too.  I told him how much I appreciated him showing me how much he loves and cares about me.

I called him.  I was upset.  There was something that I perceived as a shortfall on his part; something that he hadn’t taken care of and should have.  I was short with him and I raised my voice.  I called him later and apologized.  He apologized too, saying that I had a right to be upset with him and that I didn’t need to apologize.  He was obviously upset with himself for letting something important slide.  I told him that I was still sorry because I shouldn’t have acted that way, even if I was upset.  The issue was resolved instead of escalating.

These all seem like little things, but in reality, they’re big things.  How we speak to one another, asking for one another’s input and considering the other person’s feelings and opinions, thinking of each other’s needs and desires and being able to put them above our own, apologizing to each other, even if the other person was wrong too…these are BIG things, important building blocks.   In the past we’d use these seemingly little things to tear each other down, our foundation crumbling beneath us.  How wonderful to start making repairs, to start feeling that firm foundation under our feet again.  It almost feels like I'm falling in love with my husband all over again.  I mean, I never stopped loving him, but this is like a rediscovery, like we're digging each other out of the rubble or something. 

I realize that this may seem an odd post after my post yesterday.  But, Michael and I had a long talk last night and sorted things out.  I have a husband who wants more than anything in the world just for me to be happy.  What more could a wife ask for?  Life is good.  : )

Comments

Popular Posts