Getting Myself Organized

I have the ability to be a very organized person, but I can also be kind of haphazard about things...it really just depends.  For a little while now, longer than I might like to admit, I’ve been letting things slide a bit.  Not the big, important things mind you, but a lot of those little, mundane tasks that are never ending.  It’s not that I don’t do them at all, but I’ve had a tendency lately to put them off, letting them pile up a bit before tackling them.  This is something I want to change.

So, I’ve started making up a to do list.  I have a section for daily tasks (things like dishes, a quick sweep of the floors, personal laundry, etc.) and a section for weekly tasks (things like dusting, steam cleaning, household laundry, etc.).  The idea is that I can look at the list on and off throughout the day and check things off as I go.  I’ve thought about maybe printing it out and putting it in a page protector and using a dry erase marker to mark things off.  Then each day I can wipe the daily list clean and start over and I can pick and choose things from the weekly list each day and cross them out as I go through the week, starting over the next week.

In case I’ve now broken anyone’s image of me being a domestic goddess or something, lol, I’m not.  No, my house isn’t a mess either, just…lived in.  Just because I’m a stay at home, homeschool mom doesn’t necessarily mean that I revel in housework.  In fact, when Michael and I were newlyweds I saw a bumper sticker that I loved.  I told everyone about it.  It read: The only thing domestic about me is that I live in a house!  lol  Ok, obviously that’s not really the case anymore, but housework is not my favorite pastime. 

A few days ago I wrote an email to Michael, confessing that I’ve been kind of lazy about things lately.  That was really hard for me to admit.  I know how blessed I am to be able to stay home with the kids.  And I know how hard he works to support us.  I was afraid he was going to be upset with me, disappointed in me.  But, as he’s being doing an awful lot lately, he surprised me.  He wrote back saying that he wasn’t disappointed or upset, but that he was impressed.  What?  He said that he was impressed that I realized that I had a problem, admitted it, and was trying to find a way to fix it.  Wow.  That wasn’t the reaction I had expected at all.  I guess I was so disappointed in myself that I thought surely he would be too. He also said that we’d talk about it later, but we haven’t yet…and I’m ok with that.  I’m hoping he’s going to let me tackle this on my own and that oversight on his part, if any, will be minimal.  *fingers crossed*

Comments

Popular Posts